There is no average settlement for a truck accident in Irving. Each accident is different, so a settlement will depend on various factors, such as the seriousness of one’s injuries and how long the recovery time is, among other factors.
Another reason it is hard to pinpoint a settlement amount is settlements do not get reported, so the numbers to calculate the average settlement are not available.
Factors That Can Affect the Amount of an Irving Truck Accident Settlement
Some elements that could affect whether you receive more or less compensation for your injury case than you expect include:
- The amount of automobile liability insurance the at-fault party has. If the liable party in the accident carries only the minimum legal amount of liability insurance, does not have a job, and has only nominal assets, you might not be able to recover the full amount of your losses.
- Other possible insurance that could help pay your losses. If you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage on your liability policy, you might be able to turn to that insurance to help pay the losses the defendant does not cover.
- The injuries you suffered. A person whose only injury is a sprained wrist is unlikely to receive anywhere near the same amount of compensation as a person with a catastrophic injury from a truck accident.
- The medical treatment you had to undergo for your wounds. People who had to undergo painful procedures like skin grafts to treat their injuries could recover a high amount of compensation.
- Complications and side effects from your injuries and medical intervention. When an injured person experiences problems like an allergic reaction to medication or a raging wound infection, they often have higher medical bills, which could make the settlement amount higher.
- How well you healed. If you develop long-term or permanent impairment, like paralysis or vision loss from your injuries, you could receive compensation for that loss.
- The amount of your medical bills. The injury claim will include the reasonable cost to treat the injuries from the accident. As a result, a person with $100,000 in medical bills will likely have a higher settlement than someone with $2,000 in medical expenses.
- The amount of your lost income. If you miss out on pay because you cannot work because of your injuries, that financial loss becomes a part of your injury claim. The higher the amount of the lost wages, the higher the settlement amount could be.
Determining Fault and Other Factors That Can Affect an Irving Truck Accident Settlement
A personal injury attorney can evaluate these factors and estimate the monetary damages a victim suffered in an Irving truck accident. Three other issues can make a difference in injury cases, too:
- Who was at fault and whether you were partially at fault.Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 33.001 sets out the proportionate responsibility law in Texas. If you were partly to blame for the accident, you could still receive some compensation for your losses as long as you were not more than 50 percent at fault. At 51 percent or higher fault, a party will receive nothing for their injuries or other losses.
- Whether you work with a personal injury lawyer or try to handle your case. Our injury lawyer can build your case for damages after an Irving truck accident and seek a fair settlement for you. We can negotiate with an insurer for you and represent you in all talks. Insurance companies typically offer settlements that are too low to meet accident victims’ needs, but an attorney can protect you from that outcome. People who negotiate with insurers risk accepting settlement offers that fall short of what their cases are worth.
- The statute of limitations deadline in Texas. Texas gives you only two years to sue the liable party for your injuries under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003. If you do not file your lawsuit on time, you risk losing your right to seek damages from the party who injured you. Our injury lawyer will make sure to file your case within the statutes of limitations, saving you time and taking one more thing off your plate.
Call Us Today for a Free Consultation After an Irving, TX, Truck Accident
The attorneys at Trujillo & Sanchez, P.C., help people go after the compensation they deserve after others’ negligence hurts them. Although there is no average settlement for a truck accident in Irving, we can assess your accident damages and seek the maximum compensation for you.
We offer prospective clients a free consultation where they can tell us more about their accident and explore their legal options. Also, if we take your case, you will not have to pay any upfront legal fees or costs. We have a “no fee until you win” policy, so give us a call today.