There is no way to determine the average settlement for a truck accident in Allen. Many factors will determine how much an accident victim can recover in an accident. This includes how serious their injuries are, how long their recovery period is, and the extent of their physical and emotional pain.
If you or a loved one is recovering from a truck accident in Allen, a personal injury attorney can review the factors in your case, including the damages you suffered, and determine how much your case is worth and then pursue that amount from the liable parties in your case.
Why There Are No Average Settlements in Truck Accident Cases
Settlements often do not get reported when accident victims receive them. In fact, sometimes, the parties must sign a non-disclosure agreement that they will not reveal the settlement’s terms. Without having access to data, it is difficult to calculate the average of those figures.
Also, the possible settlement range is huge. One case might settle for a few thousand dollars, while another truck accident claim could bring in millions. A flat rate isn’t used in settling these cases. Every truck accident claim is different.
Factors That Can Impact Your Allen Truck Accident Settlement Amount
Many factors can affect how much you could pursue for your losses after an Allen truck accident. One issue to consider is if you were partially at fault for causing the collision. If so, the proportion of your fault could reduce the compensation you can recover.
Texas follows the rule of proportionate responsibility, which you can find in Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 33.001. This rule allows you to recover some of your losses from the other at-fault party if you are not responsible for more than 50 percent of the blame for causing the truck accident.
For example, if you were 25 percent at fault and the other driver was 75 percent at fault, and you both had $100,000 in money damages, this would be the result:
- The other driver would get zero compensation for their losses because their fault was more than 50 percent of the accident’s total cause.
- You could get $75,000 for your losses because Texas law would reduce your $100,000 award by $25,000 to represent your percentage of fault.
Estimating Your Damages After an Allen Truck Accident
Below are other factors an injury attorney can consider when estimating the damages you could recover after an Allen, Texas, truck accident:
- Your medical expenses. A person with higher medical bills will likely be able to pursue a higher settlement amount.
- The income you lost. A person who could not work for a year because of their truck accident injuries will likely have a higher claim amount than a person who got sidelined for only one week.
- The severity of your injuries. For example, if an explosion from a truck accident caused you to suffer extensive burns over most of your body, this injury could be considered more severe than if your injury was a simple bone fracture in your arm.
- The medical treatment you endured because of your injuries. By way of example, the treatments for severe, extensive burn injuries are known to be quite painful.
- How the truck accident affects your quality of life. If, after completing your medical treatment and achieving the maximum medical improvement (MMI), you cannot perform certain functions, like walking or driving a car, because of ongoing impairment, you can receive compensation for these losses.
An Attorney Can Protect Your Right to Seek a Fair Settlement After an Allen Truck Accident
After calculating the base amount of your damages and adjusting that number by your portion of fault, if any, several things still could affect how many losses you could recover. The amount of an at-fault’s automobile liability insurance could affect the funds available.
Also, people who try to handle their truck accident injury claims without an attorney often discover later that the insurance company’s offer was too low and that they could have recovered more for their injuries. Working with an attorney can help you avoid this risk. They can handle an insurer for you and negotiate for compensation award that fairly compensates you for your injuries.
Call Us Today for a Free Case Consultation for an Allen Truck Accident
You can call Trujillo & Sanchez, P.C., today for a free case evaluation. While there is no average settlement for a truck accident in Allen, we can advise you on your legal options and the financial compensation you could recover.
If you hire us to represent you, we can handle your case on a contingency fee arrangement. That means that you do not pay any upfront legal attorney’s fees or costs. We receive a percentage of the settlement or court award when you win. We are ready to help you recover from your accident. Contact us today.