Having the right attorney can make the difference between securing an advantageous settlement, or paying medical bills and facing lost wages after an accident. Whether you were involved in a car accident, suffered a slip and fall, or had any other type of accident, choosing the right personal injury attorney is essential.
What type of personal injury lawyer do I need?
Personal injury lawyers fight for the rights of clients and recover damages due to accidents caused by negligent persons. This could involve car accidents, motorcycle accidents, slips and falls, medical malpractice and more.
1. Find a personal injury lawyer near you
First, look for a personal injury attorney who practices in the state where you live or where you were injured.
2. Choose a lawyer experienced in the type of accident you suffered
Next, research personal injury lawyers who handle your type of case. For example, if you were injured in a car accident, look for a personal injury lawyer who takes on car accident cases. You can usually find this information on their websites. There are different types of personal injury cases, all of which require different legal strategies. Common types of personal injury claims include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Construction accidents
- Personal injuries
- Slips and falls
- Wrongful death
- Motorcycle accident
- Dog bites
- Bicycle accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- …and more.
3. Review the attorney’s background
Once you’ve made a tentative list, check to see if disciplinary actions have been filed against the lawyer you’re considering hiring. The best way to confirm that an attorney is licensed to practice law in a particular jurisdiction is to contact the licensing or regulatory agency in that state. In most states, the licensing or regulatory agency is administered by the state bar association.
In addition, lawyer review websites are incredible resources for verifying lawyer reputations because their databases are based on real client reviews. User reviews, both good and bad, are collected from all over the country and incorporated into the database. Users can simply type a lawyer’s name into the search box and view all related reviews.
4. Check out the lawyer’s website
Check out any information available online as well. Look at the lawyer’s website and read any and all reviews, both good and bad. You should be able to find enough information to decide if you’re interested in scheduling a consultation with him/her.
What questions should I ask a lawyer to get to know him/her?
When you go in for an initial consultation with a personal injury attorney (or over the phone), there are a number of questions you can ask. Here are a few examples to find out if the attorney is right for your case, how they can help you, and what their working methods are:
- How many years have you been practicing law?
- How many personal injury claims have you handled? How many were successful?
- How many cases like mine have you handled (e.g. for your specific category, such as slip and fall, construction, car accident)?
- Do I have other options besides filing a lawsuit?
- How much do you charge?
- If there are upfront expenses I must pay, what are they?
- How much do you think my case is worth?
- What kind of services do you offer if the case goes to trial?
- How long do you think it will take to resolve my claim?
- What is the statute of limitations on my claim (the amount of time you have by law to file a claim once the accident occurs)?
- Will you handle this case yourself or will you work with another attorney?
These questions can give you a good idea of what is expected of you, how the lawyer will handle your case if you hire him/her, and whether he/she is a good fit for your case.
Why Trujillo & Sanchez may be the right lawyer for you
- Lawyers near you: Our attorneys at the Law Offices of Trujillo & Sanchez work on cases throughout the State of Texas. So if you’ve been the victim of an accident in Texas, we may be the best option near you.
- Types of accidents we handle: We take cases involving car accidents, truck accidents, workplace accidents, construction accidents, personal injuries, slips and falls, and wrongful death.
- Our track record at the Law Offices of Trujillo & Sanchez: We’re the #1 attorney for car accident cases. We’ve earned 3 verdicts in the Top 50, more than any other firm in Texas. We’ve won 13 consecutive times in court against the toughest insurance company, Allstate. We go to trial and win. There’s no one who wins accident cases in court like we do. No matter how big or small your accident case is, we’ll be with you the whole time and take your case to trial if necessary to get you compensation.
- Check out our website: You can read our clients testimonials. If you have any questions, reach out and ask us what’s on your mind. We would be happy to help you.
- Request a free consultation as soon as possible: Yes, our initial consultations are completely free. Our personal injury lawyers offer free consultations because we work based on contingency instead of charging by the hour. This means that we only get paid if we win our client’s case.
At the Law Offices of Trujillo & Sanchez, our personal injury lawyers can help you with your claim. Call (972) 529-3476 for a free consultation today.
If you found this post interesting, you might also enjoy: